The first time I tried to eat a mango at home I was convinced this fruit was just put on Earth as a cosmic joke to anyone who thought they could win in a man v. mango showdown. To clarify I was a grown adult at this point, so failing hard at the can-prepare-basic-ingredients test of life was a bummer.
Thankfully, 3 mangoes and 2 YouTube videos later, I was ready to make the messiest fruit salad you’ve ever seen.
As for the ginger, If I’m being honest here I just cheated with it until about a year ago. I finally graduated from the stuff in the tube from Trader Joe’s (don’t knock it, that thing is a lifesaver) and the transition wasn’t as bad as my initial mango debacle. But. Whenever someone says something about just using a spoon to skin it, all I can think of is Sylvester Stallone’s confused face in Demolition Man as he’s repeatedly told to just use the three shells in future…ahem, restrooms. I just use a little baby knife and call it a day.
I promise, it gets easier after the first couple of times trying these techniques out. And on the bright side, biffing it at breakfast has much lower stakes than biffing it for your potluck dish or your dinner party dessert.
Now, the secret to this recipe is the swipe of almond butter underneath the rest of the ingredients. It grounds the other, more tropical ingredients in a way that makes the dish feel more hearty. I have NEVER been the type who can subsist off an airy pastry for breakfast and call it good until noon, so that extra vavoom in the substance department is perfect for me.
Mango & Ginger Avocado Toast
Servings: 1 Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook time: 3 minutes
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 Tbs almond butter
- 1/2 small ripe avocado
- 2 Tbs Greek yogurt
- peeled and sliced ataulfo (yellow) mango
- 1 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbs unsweetened coconut flakes
- Start the bread toasting while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Mash the avocado with the Greek yogurt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel then slice the mango and peel then roughly mince the ginger.
- When your toast is ready, spread the almond butter and then the avocado mixture evenly on one side and top with the rest of the ingredients.
- I like using a larger slice of bread for these. My current favorite is a basic whole wheat from Trader Joe’s.
- The Kitchn has a great little explainer on how to slice a mango if you too are in need of one. I love using the yellow ataulfo mangoes because I find them easier to handle.
Nutritional info per serving: Calories: 450, Total Fat: 25.1g, Carbohydrates: 49.9g, Fiber: 12g, Sugar: 16.8g, Protein: 14.8g