I’ve been increasing my mileage for marathon training (finally) and one of the habits I’ve been trying to pick up is eating before a morning run. I’m usually an empty-stomach-maybe-some-coffee runner, so it’s been challenging to find something I enjoy eating beforehand. Which, by the way, is the only time you’ll EVER hear me say the words ‘I’m having a hard time eating more food.’
With those things in mind, I started playing around with some healthy higher-carbohydrate recipes to fuel those double-digit miles. I really enjoyed this one since it left me light on my feet and didn’t feel like a weight in my stomach. If you have any dairy sensitivities, I’d probably just leave the yogurt out altogether.
Orange & Fig Avocado Toast
Servings: 1 Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook time: 3 minutes
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1/2 small ripe avocado
- 2 Tbs Greek yogurt
- 1/2 peeled orange slices
- 3 dried figs, halved and stems removed
- 1 Tbs walnuts
- Start the bread toasting while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Mash the avocado with the Greek yogurt in a small bowl and set aside.
- Peel the orange and halve the dried figs.
- When your toast is ready, spread the avocado mixture evenly on one side and top with the rest of the ingredients.
- I like using a larger slice of bread for these. My current favorite is a basic whole wheat from Trader Joe’s.
- The more pith (white bits) you remove from your orange, the less bitter your breakfast will be.
Nutritional info per serving: Calories: 410, Total Fat: 13.1g, Carbohydrates: 53.2g, Fiber: 6.5g, Sugar: 21.2g, Protein: 10.2g