On Tuesday I promised you a recipe for my very favorite Fall kale salad, and I am here to deliver! I’ve been tweaking it for a while now, but I’ve finally settled on this version that leaves me perfectly satisfied all afternoon while making me dream of pumpkin patches and corn mazes and crisp, cool air.
Ultimate Fall Kale Salad
Servings: 6 Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 bunches kale, shredded and stems removed
- 3 medium apples, chopped
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, chopped
- 14.5 oz can chickpeas
- 6 oz feta or cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tbs pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1/4 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs maple syrup or honey
- 1/3 c dried cranberries
- 1/4 c pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 c chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Chop sweet potatoes & rinse and drain chickpeas. Toss both with 1 Tbs olive oil, salt and pumpkin pie spice. spread onto a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are easily pierced by a fork and chickpeas get crispy.
- Add 1 Tbs olive oil to a deep pan or pot over medium heat. Add shredded kale and about 2 Tbs water to help it wilt. pressing down with a wooden spoon and stirring often helps speed this along. Once the kale turns darker green, remove from the pot and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add chopped apples, crumbled cheese, cranberries, pumpkin seeds and walnuts to the large bowl.
- Prepare dressing by mixing apple cider vinegar and maple syrup in a small bowl. Add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Once the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are done baking, remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Add to the large bowl once cool.
- Mix all ingredients and split into 6 salads.
- Enjoy it hot immediately or serve it cold for lunch the next day!
- I love feta or cotija cheese in this salad because they’re quite salty, which really boosts the flavors here.
- If you’d like a heartier salad, cooked quinoa would be a delicious addition.
Nutritional info per serving: Calories: 447, Total Fat: 21g, Carbohydrates: 53g, Sugar: 21g, Dietary Fiber: 11g; Protein: 19g
Reasons This Salad Rocks
- Apple, seeds & nuts provide a variety of crunchiness
- Sweet potato & chickpeas are a hearty base
- Cranberries, apple & dressing are the perfect sweet-tart mix
- Slightly salty cheese brings out each of the flavors
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do, this salad will be keeping me going all Autumn long. If you make this or any other This Miss Cooks recipe, snap a pic, post it on Instagram + tag me @thismisscooks. I can’t wait to see your healthy eats!